Wednesday 8 May 2013

Publication:: Book Element Done + Concept of Book


Modernism



An in-depth study _ visual debate and 
collaboration between European and 
Japanese modernism post-WWII.


---------------------------------------


Concept of book element


The publication brief in my case is all about
the visual discussion between European and
Japanese design and the idea for the book section
of the publication is for both sensibilities and
characteristics they frequently represent, in my
opinion - is referenced and applied to create a
collaboration between the two for the purposes
of the book. For example the red gradient within
the spine is a nod to the colours and gradients
used widely in Japanese design of the 60's,
whereas European modernism was hard-edged
and crisp.

I've also used a serif and slightly more decorative
 typeface to contrast with Helvetica Neue Bold,
the font of choice for many a European modernist
designer and also plenty of Japanese designers
 in the early dawn of graphic designs 'renaissance'
there too.

I've summarised through analysis of existing
Europeab work, designers such as
Muller-Brockman and Vignelli use even numbers
widely - and the number of rows is usually double
of the number of columns. So for example a 4x8
grid, or a 5 x 10 grid. This creates instant proportions
 and relationships with each other, so the each page
has a 4x8 grid which I've applied but also been
carefully loose with to again bring element of
Japanese design by designers such as Kamekura in.

Ultimately, the book element of the project is a much
 more subtle application of theory and overall I
wanted to experiment with a clear and minimal design
aesthetic to create a break from the poster element
which will be pretty loud and also to prove to myself
I can express myself in a attitude to design I'm
becoming increasingly fascinated by.


---------------------------------------








No comments:

Post a Comment