Thursday 21 February 2013

Ink & Brush



I plan on having black drawing ink and a japanese nib and brush included as part of the package as a huge part of Martial Arts, Zen Buddhism and the Bushido culture is to live a life of peace and serenity, through visual expression to contrast with the times they have to partake in violence. One of the ways they did this was through beautiful calligraphy and a symbol of Japanese design so I want to also push this through my product.


Looking around at ink, obviously there's the parker and Quink black ink and indian ink but a more suitable addition maybe sumi ink, carbon based ink often used for Japanese calligraphy with a thick opaque black texture. If this is too hard to get hold of I plan on getting hold of Indian ink for the opaque and bold feel.


Supplying ink in the product is one thing but I also plan on using ink myself to create artwork, especially when it comes to exposing ink for that authentic hand-drawn feel to merge with my own design sensibilities I want to merge with traditional Japanese design.






Sumi ink calligraphy set, comes with 5 quaint brushes, red ink, brush holder, solid ink,?, ready to carve stamp, mixing plate and a little ink bowl






Sumi ink packaging



Sumi-ink grinding stone



This looks effective as a set and the idea of rolled up elements is appealing especially for posters and the like.





Packaging an ink well like the one here would be perfect along with ink brushes. The hinged box is effective too with the inner lining. I'm still not sure what visual direction to go in, I don't want to go too 'traditional' and basically just have a go at doing some Japanese design myself but want to create a balance between contemporary design and Japanese design and my own sensibilities.


##Brushes


I plan on including a bamboo pen for finger artwork and a brush for thicker calligraphy and expressive stuff


Bill Zuchman is a leading brand at the moment when it comes to tools for ink


Bamboo pen
 










Brush pen





No comments:

Post a Comment