Wednesday 20 February 2013

Boxes & Protective packaging


I want to go down the road of making some kind of protective packaging for the overall range of products I'm going to work on, exactly what is still unclear but through engaging with research I'm sure I'll get closer and closer to it being a logical decision.

Making a boxset is also interesting for me as I want to explore laser-cut and make a more 'permanent' kind of graphic design rather than paper and print, so this is exciting.

Some existing examples of protective packaging and boxes related to the Japanese theme and Martial Arts




Japanese bento box packaging, often used for displaying, packaging and consuming food. A bento box could be a cool way of packaging small ephemeral objects such as fountain pens, brushes and ink?


The way this closes and seals itself is pretty interesting, although this looks forced to be closed this way but designing something to be closed this way and the artwork on the stock also relating to this form of sealing would be interesting


This is definitely relevant and I think it's visually appealing and relevant to the subject although the stock probably needs to be thicker to hold the stuff I'm planning on holding at the moment, ink, brushes, booklets and fold-out posters and maybe more.






I like the way it's a complete box but there's separate compartments in quite an odd way which could be interesting as a consideration


Matchbox style box?



Up until now I've been imagining the box to be like this with a slide in lid and a strong and durable wood as the casing with an engraved element to it



The way this opens out could be interesting and I feel it could really be referenced and refined for the subject and theme in terms of stock, colour and graphics but the items within probably won't like being in a package like this, everything will be thrown around






This is very relevant, a latched holder would be really cool similar to a briefcase, it adds luxury and mystery to a product, even padded casing for each product to be held snug is something I might definitely consider but at the same time considering the subject, I feel padding is a bit too 'modern'. 


Looking at existing examples out there definitely helped gauge what I want and dimensions etc are a definite consideration, Once I know what I want to make and at what scale and size, I can then decide how I want each product to be laid out and placed within the box, draw that out and then I'll know what size and format the box will be in

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post about boxes and protective packaging. Some of these boxes are looking unique and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips regrading artwork shipping boxes. You provided the best information which helps us a lot. Thanks for sharing the wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete