Wednesday 9 May 2012

Hitchcock: Design Sheets + Stock choice


These are the sheets I was getting ideas down for, when trying to decide on a logo for the front cover, and for the chronology of the spreads in the publication.


At first it was 43 spreads +, meaning around 86 facing pages.


I managed to refine it a little and make it flow more efficiently, it now stands at 40 spreads and 80 facing pages, not including the cover which I'll wrap around with a thicker stock.



Some logo ideas. Embarassing mistake here; 'Alfred HitchCHCOCK'




Initial publication plan




Revised publication plan. 40 spreads. A4 size, 80 facing pages, at A5 size.


I'm printing double sides, so I'm going to have about 5 mm bleed, I've opted to use 'bulky newsprint' from the library as I talked to James down in print about binding, he said the prospectuses of LCA are 'perfect bound' where they have a thicker stock wrapped around with a nice flat spine. I want the same style of binding on mine, as I said previously, it's going to be 80 pages thick and fairly thick.

I cut up 80 pieces of the stock, as a sort of tester book to see how it would fare and also to measure the thickness of the book at 80 pages. So I can plan ahead when it comes to the outside cover and dimensions of it, taking into account the thickness of the book.





Mock book - 80 cuts piled up of bulky newsprint.



80 pages of bulky newsprint, are around 12mm thick. So i'm going to keep in mind around 14mm, to give a little room.








Bulky newsprint is a similar thickness and texture to the stock used in LCA prospectus, which also is bound the way I want to bind my book. The stock in the lca prospectus also handles double sided image printing perfectly fine, so i'm confident the bulky newsprint can, as if anything, it's a little thicker.


No comments:

Post a Comment