Monday 27 February 2012

CREATING A PUBLICATION

So last week we had a briefing on the second part of the OUGD401, Context of Practice. In essence, we need to collate an area of interest and study from previous lectures/workshops and tasks and create and collate it together into a publication of some sort.

My essay was on the social change in Russia and Germany affecting art and design in their respective countries and how they were both similar but had different legacies, playing close interest to Russian constructivism and modernism in Europe, especially Bauhaus. Initial thoughts of mine were that I'd probably create a publication of some sort giving information on Russia and notable facts and figures in a visual way representative of that time period and style.

We had a lecture in a seminar on the topic and I obviously looked deeper into it and wrote an essay so I know a decent amount on it, so that's a good start.

So visually it would take cues from aesthetics like this...









After further thought, I remember I quite enjoyed the film lecture, I'm really into movies as it is and find Hitchcock a pretty brilliant filmmaker and a pretty inspiring individual. His cutting edge film techniques are really interesting and visually it's perfect for me as Saul Bass is synonymous with Hitchock's movies and aspects of Saul Bass' style is a style that I'm trying to develop myself personally, so visually I think I'd really enjoy this. Also film posters in general, especially ones from the 40s, 50s and 60s are something I never get bored of.

The content of the lecture is here. Obviously I'll need to have a further enquiry into it and find some cool things out.

Visually, initial signs point to adopting a mixture of cues like these...

















No comments:

Post a Comment