Wednesday 15 January 2014

Pre-Practical Body of Work _ print photos



Pre-Practical Body of Work Rationale:
While undertaking research for my piece of critical writing, I decided to take opportunities and off-time from research and writing to design process material. The process material consists of quotes from books, primary research, observations, questionnaires, surveys, interviews and so on. These visual experiments allowed me to gain a stronger awareness of my own position within the theme of International Style, and also allowed me to test the flexibility of designing in a heavily typographic way.

This body of practical investigations was carried out during the research and writing stage, and before the primary practical element - a reconsideration of Wimbledon in a global design process.

Archive – Archivo – 归档 –
Archive is a selection of blog posts and documentation, which was logged to further my progress in the module, and research I may have undertook in regards to books, interviews, videos etc.

Designing Archive was a relevant and beneficial process as it allowed me to create order and organisation within a large database of information, further reinforcing the Swiss design ambitions I was researching at the time.

It allowed me to be more selective with what information I include and to also have more of a designers approach to the information, I used this as an exercise in further increasing my competence with a grid variations, and is still in keeping with the pretty Swiss style of design, but my own personal take on it with consideration to different languages - in this case, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese - three languages alone accounting for 25% of the world. 

Language is considered heavily, it was the first instance of globally considering language in the form of using the three largest languages in the world in terms of native speakers – English, Mandarin and Spanish. All layouts include the three languages, adding to communication and effectiveness in an increasingly multicultural society – which relates to my dissertation argument. The concept of employing more thanone language on layouts was picked up on the global collaboration process with overseas designers on the Wimbledon practical project, so was an important experiment.




Diffusion of Style – In a Global Culture.
Contents include the second draft of my essay, not the final submitted draft. Designed in between second draft and final draft as a useful exercise in experimenting with a different approach to design, again using a variety of languages within layouts and strengthening my own awareness and ability within working in a highly communicative and bold design style. Using primary colours, and readable type, in line with the Old International Style sensibility.




Body of work also includes _
• Visual representation of questions sent to contemporary design practitioners around the world

• Designed questionnaire sheet distributed to 20 design students at Leeds College of Art, regarding inspiration and influence.

• Visual representation of survey results regarding influence of design inspiration in todays design students.


































No comments:

Post a Comment