Tuesday 22 May 2012

OUGD401 END OF MODULE EVALUATION


OUGD401 END OF MODULE SELF EVALUATION
Abbas Mushtaq/Level04/BAGD/22.05.12Submission


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I've developed my listening and note taking skills, throughout the lectures and the seminars with Richard, I always tried to keep on top of the points being said and taking down important notes.

I think, in particular with the essay and the publication tasks, there was a wealth of information. 100+ years worth of information and history to get some form of a grip on and at first it was difficult but I think if I was tasked with the same briefs today, I wouldn't be as overwhelmed as I was when I was doing the briefs for the first time. I also think I've become better at picking out information that is important and taking an approach of quality over quantity. I think at the start of the year, if you look at my lecture notes they're very in depth. Almost word for word of what was being said, this isn't always a good thing. Nowadays I keep it short and simple, it shows analysis and understanding of the information.

I've also become better and turning theory into practice and applying fundamental principles and design aesthetics to a problem, I've become better at understanding and studying a certain visual style or movement. Such as constructivism and being able to create work that references the style, for example my essay front cover and back cover are inspired by constructivism.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I've seen the importance of research and development before designing, especially for my turning theory into practice publication. I spent 75% of the brief length researching and outlining what would be in the publication and where. I made sure I knew how many pages there would be, what would be on the pages and where. After this, it was just a case of executing the plan. I think when it came to the designing, it made everything much more efficient and I felt like there was a plan in action and I didn't come upon as many hiccups as I normally do with normal briefs.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I really enjoyed making posters for the Hitchcock movies, I tried to reference iconic designers such as Saul Bass but still keep it temporary and have my own stamp on it. I think I've achieved that and it's probably one of, if not the strongest part of my final products.

In the publication I also had a lot of variety, I tried to manipulate the viewer/readers experience similar to how Hitchcock did through colours and layout. I also still like the idea of translating his techniques to my book with the 'randomly' places macguffins and cameos. I put thought into this and think it works well and creates a more interesting reading experience, instead of a linear from a to b book.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
I think my note taking in some points is too in-depth, although in the earlier parts of the year and I tried to act on and rectify this, it's still a weakness. Sometimes I make too many notes and it doesn't show an understanding and involvement with the lectures.

In my publication I think it couldn't be as easy to understand as it could be, I may have gone to too much lengths when it came to manipulating how the user reads the book, and didn't consider enough if at the end of it, it has a clear message and sequence.

I don't think I took my work as far as I could. I could have considered the context of the publication more; maybe it could have come packaged in some kind of case, or come as part of some kind of movie collection, Alfred Hitchcock anniversary collections? Some kind of movie fair? I could have got in touch with more art house places such as Hyde Park Picture House to propose a Hitchcock event and if they want any booklets getting made for the event.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

I will consider the context of the product more, as I said I need to take things further and consider the context, purpose etc and push work that 10% extra to make it more understandable and have more of a real-world possibility.

Keep improving at note taking, I think in the past I've made too many notes and it doesn't show an understanding, also when reading back the notes it can seem too much information and not bitesize facts and points that are easy to understand and take forward.

Consider the product in the eyes of the viewer more, and make sure it's understandable and the effect and influence on the viewer is actually the intended effect or influence. I think this is something that will become with stronger reflection of work and better planning. This will allow my work to have an intended response and for variables to be more under control and for work to be more effective. At the end of the day, clients, customers and viewers would enjoy and use my work in the real-world. Whether it's completely to my own taste or not, isn't looking at the bigger picture.

I'm going to take products further, try and manage my time better so I have at least 2-3 days where I've finished the brief to a suitable standard for submission and so any work I do afterwards will allow me to consider the packaging, presentation etc and taking the work an extra bit further.

Next time I would also spend more time on design sheets, I still think my design sheets look too 'scribbly' and a nicely drawn and measured design sheet is an inviting piece of work to look at and analyse, whereas mine just look rough and more about getting ideas done. There's nothing wrong with that but I should also take it further and keep drawing and drawing the ideas and development till I have a solid and finished idea. It would help me to have a better idea of how my work will look at a finished, more digital stage and also help others evaluate my work and see how my work developed to the final product.


No comments:

Post a Comment