Saturday 12 November 2011

'AESTHETICALLY PLEASING' WORKSHOP 11/11/11

We had quite an interesting workshop with Jo about what we find aesthetically pleasing, and why, and what aesthetically pleasing actually is. It made us think about how to best describe something and how important first impressions are. I realised you can learn so much about something in the first 5 seconds you look at it. Your perception also changes the longer you look at it, it changes from just looking and taking it in, to really studying it.

First thing we did was describe the work we brought in, in one word.

Fresh


Intense


Clever


Craft


Madness.


After this, we got paired with another person in the class and we examined each others work. We looked at each of the 5 examples separately for timed sessions. These ranged from 5, 10, to 20 seconds. We wrote down the first words that came to mind. We did this for 5 examples. For 5 seconds we wrote 1 word, for 10 seconds we wrote 2 and finally for the 20 seconds we wrote 3 words. So in the end we had 6 impressions for each work.

I was looking at Hannah's work and the impressions I got were:

1) Paper, Cutout, Craft, Nature, Environment, Type
2) Type, Inspiration, Concise, Motivational, Conan, Poster
3) Architecture, Sarah, Bikes, College, Intricate, Invitations
4) Shadows, Light, Darkness, Contrast, Nature
5) Jam, Packaging, Quirky, Colourful, Character, Bright


We then had a think about...

AESTHETICALLY PLEASING LIFE EXPERIENCES


  • Starry skies
  • Sunset
  • Smell of fresh money
  • Snowy weather
  • Feeling warm and wrapped up in cold weather
  • Walking in the rain
  • Smell of petrol
  • Smell of fresh new magazines
  • Smell of new car interior
  • Fireworks
  • Colourful objects
  • Seeing a rainbow
  • Look and feel of new technology e.g. Macbooks
  • Touch - design, nice smooth materials, 
  • Touch - suede, fur
  • Atmosphere of a gig
  • Music you love
  • Live music
  • Sound of a car engine roaring
  • Popping bubble wrap
  • Opening up a big fat comic

AESTHETICALLY PLEASING LIFE ASPIRATIONS


  • Zorbing - rolling down a hill in them blow upballs
  • Skydiving, the feel and adrenaline rush/ the view
  • Experiencing new cultures and habits
  • Experiencing new artistic cultures
  • Watch a volcano erupt
  • Natural pools of water, hot springs
  • Be in space
  • Learn a new language and be fluent
  • See the northern lights
  • Visit Tokyo and see all the culture and technology
  • Experiencing something fascinating and life changing
  • Visit Santa, Greenland?


After this, we looked at the work we brought in as 5 examples of work we find aesthetically pleasing and identified 5 criteria that seems most important to us, when deciding if something is aesthetically pleasing or not.

My criteria I outlined was:
  1. Ideas
  2. Moments
  3. Colour
  4. Emotion
  5. Craft

We were then partnered with another student and looked at their criteria and went to the library and tried to find work that we think they would enjoy, purely based on the criteria. This is a good test of just how accurate the criteria reflects the person. 

Rebecca's criteria was:

  1. Contrast
  2. Distortion
  3. Geometric
  4. Alarming
  5. Minimal
I went to the library to find some artwork that I think Rebecca would like and I think I was fairly successful, I noticed she liked quite a handmade approach to design and liked geometric shapes like triangles and stuff that was distorted. Definitely not clean cut type driven stuff, as an impression anyway.

Found this book which I think was quite relevant, the cover itself is quite explanatory of the kind of tastes I perceived Rebecca had..


After the workshop, I think I have a better idea of just what makes me tick, what kind of work I like and what style of work I want to possibly do in the future. Here are 5 criteria that I can pretty safely say play a big part in the work I enjoy and the kind of art I aspire to make.

  • Idea driven - I really enjoy simple work that has a innovative idea behind it. Simplicity is for winners.
  • Emotion - from the designer and evoke emotion from view
  • Craft - To show skill and ability at what I do, I want people to think, how did he make that?
  • Capturing a moment
  • Colour











No comments:

Post a Comment