Wednesday 5 October 2011

Alphabet Soup: Type

I'm still at an early stage with this brief yet and need to get ideas down on paper - it's all quite overwhelming at the moment, so I went to the library to see if any books will help and give inspiration. I found two that I quite liked and took out

Typography by Ambrose, Harris

Indie Fonts by Kegler, Grieshaber, Riggs

Here's some photos of the books. I'll hopefully sit down with these books and brainstorm and sketch out some ideas so I know what kind of direction I'm headed in, in time for the progress crit this week. Here's some photos of interesting images I found.

I was mainly looking for books around travel, type and australia. I was hoping to somehow combine these things. Steph seems really into travel and holidays and Australia is the country she most wants to live. I didn't have as much success as I'd hoped in finding the kind of imagery I wanted for travel and Australia but oh well, here's some snaps of stuff I took.


I tried to find "girly" books, ha. I think this sort of typeface works quite well, it look traditional but at the same time, quite hand drawn and delicate. I don't know if it's the colour that does it or if the type itself, so I'll have a go at stuff like this with a black pen later on.

This is quite cool, it shoes how a B can help to make an E. It backs up what Amber said about creating multi functional typefaces like A's and E's etc that can help form the basis of other letters. So it might be a good idea to concentrate on these letterforms, it'll be easier later on when finishing the alphabet.

The cover of the book. I checked it out because it said "holiday graphics" i thought it might be cool to check out some vintage, holiday brochure kind of imagery but this was quite specific to valentines day stuff.

This is inside "indie fonts", it'll be useful to go through these and get some inspiration


It's not really related but it gave me an idea about maybe looking into Aboriginal/ Indigenous Australians for inspiration.

Too many disconnected ideas at the moment, need to crack on and see what works and doesn't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment